Nowadays, (Sun-Thurs) I have to stick to a schedule and be in bed by a certain time in order to wake up in time to head to work in the morning- (I have to pay the bills after all!)
However, there are lots of nights where my body and mind will not agree with my schedule. Often I am rolling around restless as ideas for new drawings come to the forefront of my mind - no longer in the back rooms of my mind, these ideas are scream at me, insisting that I get them down on paper before they are lost forever. Thankfully, I keep a notebook at arms reach.
They other night, I couldn't get the ideas down and this is all I could get out...
"Can't Sleep" prints available here.
I lay awake waiting for for my mind to turn off. Sometimes it does and sometimes, I just need to turn the light on and get everything out of my mind and down on paper.
Do you have a similar issue? Here are some things I do to try and sleep:
5 Tips For A Better Sleep
1. Have a night cap. Whatever your vice may be, it can sometimes help you get into the proper state of mind to enjoy a nice deep REM sleep. I don't know about you, but I like to have a nice dream or two when I am sleeping.
2. Workout. If you sit at a desk all day and you aren't moving around, how are you suppose to tell your body to "shut down"? It's been on autopilot all day!! Can't afford a gym pass? Go for a walk, jog, hike, run, etc. Walk the dog or walk with the kids, we all know it's hard for some people to do things on their own so, feel free to bring a companion.
3. No Caffeine! Before bed that is. We all know caffeine keeps you awake and gives you energy. Don't be drinking 2 cups of coffee, a soda and chocolate before you lay down. Give yourself 3-4 hours (this is probably too much) for your body to process everything.
4. Creating the perfect sleeping environment. I don't know about you, but when I go to bed, I like it cold and dark! * I recommend a Lasko 2521 16" Oscillating Stand Fan It works great and keeps me cool while I am dreaming at night!
5. Manage your stress. I don't stress out a lot, but I know people that do. Try not to hold on to things that bother you for too long or they will dictate your life. You will dwell on something for too long and it will be with you for a while. If it's really important, write it down and come back to it. Don't sweat the small stuff.
I hope these tips will help you out. I know that everyone's body is different and won't always react the same. Don't forget to speak with your doctor about this sleep issue too. I don't have insomnia and if anyone does, they should definitely consult their physician.
Feel free to post in the comments section and let me and other artists what you do to get a good sleep. Any personal tips or tricks that could be helpful to others would be great!
Ordering from Amazon.com any time soon? Click on the web banner I have to the right of my blog or on the link.
Amazon will give me a few pennies from every purchase which helps pay for the blog.
Like me on Facebook.