Thursday, June 6, 2013

Staying Healthy - Mind, Body, & Soul Part-1

Part-1 The Mind

Staying Healthy is vital to the success of being great at anything and everything you do. I feel that being healthy is so important and is a pivotal link between happy and unhappy people. A topic of this magnitude cannot be answered in one blog post therefore I will be breaking this up into three sections- Mind, Body, & Soul. 


If you want to be a great artist or great at everything and anything you do in life, you need to be healthy. By keeping your Mind clear, your Body in shape/well nourished, and your Soul free of bad vibes/negativity. By doing so,  you will allow yourself  the opportunity to succeed in life.

Think of yourself like the engine of a car (every once in a while you need to have repairs done), by taking care of these three things, you will allow yourself to perform at a high level and your body will be able to fire on all cylinders.

I have found that living a healthy lifestyle (eating well, working out, taking breaks away from art and enjoying life) makes me a better artist. Life is all about balance.
Wise man that Robert Fulghum is.

For a good read, check out Mr. Fulghum's Book "All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten" here:

Keeping My Mind Right

About two years ago I started making small changes in my day-to-day life. Small changes eventually work their way up to being big changes. It all starts with baby steps. We all live busy lives and changing or doing something seems like such a giant task. If I were to say I wanted to create 52 or more drawings every year, I probably would try and then loose focus and never finish that goal.  That is why I started a One A week Art Project- inspired by the TwinGeekz Art Project.

Every week I have one goal, to create and post a piece of art for my One A week Art Project which is due on Sunday or in some rare cases Monday. :) This small incremental deadline keeps me focused each week to create something new every week. Thus, at the end of 52 weeks, I have 52 pieces of new art!

Like I said above, We all live busy lives- Really. Busy. Lives. But that's no excuse to avoid doing what you love and staying healthy.

Taking Breaks

I don't know about you but I love being in my studio... I LOVE IT! I love being so isolated from everything in the world so that I can allow my mind to expand, get lost, and create masterpiece after masterpiece... or at least try! :)

That said, even I know when to take a break!

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it."
--  Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
advertisement

Did I mention that I was a movie buff? Because I am and you will find me quoting a few movies every now and again. Have you ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off? If you haven't, it's a classic and I highly recommend it!





Aside from watching movies you can:

  • Go for a walk, hike, bike or run
  • Read a book
  • Play a game
  • Go to the beach
  • Hang out with friends or family
  • Meditate (I would like to start doing this)
  • Take a nap(I would also like to start doing this)

and the list goes on.

Can you think of any others? Leave a comment with things or ideas you do when taking a break from your routine.



Here are a few books to help expand your mind.


      


Ordering from Amazon.com (advertisement) any time soon? Click on the web banner I have to the right of my blog or on the link.

Amazon will give me a few pennies from every purchase which helps pay for the blog.

Like me on Facebook.

Cheers!






















No comments: